Monday, October 23, 2017

Fall Maintenance

To work on Rover II, I suspend the rear of the bike from the garage ceiling by means of a tarp strap hooked into the carrying case on my rear rack. I then lift he front of the trike cruciform onto two adjustable jack stands. This provides a stable platform and I sit on a crate to work on the trike. Comfortable for me and it just works without having to hoist the whole weight up onto a stand. (Also tipped it over the other day to inspect the cruciform for cracks as reported in Forums. There are none that I can see.



Just about ready to head south, but wanted to do some maintenance while I still have access to all my tools. Dropped my WindWrap faring off as it might make getting Rover II up to my 19th floor condo  difficult. Really appreciated it the last month here as it was generally cool and very windy. Besides it's always very warm in Florida, Right?


King Pin Greased and
ready for insertion
Top washer before handle install

New and used bushing. Which is which?


Thought I might need to replace the steering bushings now around 12,000 km, so ordered a new set and waited for a reamer to arrive in case the new ones were too tight as reported in the forums recently. Loosing track of my  mileage. But hardly ever miss a day and then do 40-50 km

I dropped the kingpins out of the frame and tapped out the bushings with a punch and hammer one side at a time. Checked for wear visually and with my calipers. There is no indication of wear on any of the bushings. Can't see any difference between the old ones and the new set so cleaned, greased, reassembled, and adjusted. Messy but was cheap and easy. This is the 3rd time I've completed this lubing procedure.

Was really surprised there was no significant wear. Have never really had a problem with steering and quite pleased at Rover II's service

Greasing the final drive in the Bafang BBSO2 was something I had not yet done. I have not taken anything apart on it. since it was installed. The unit runs very quiet still, and I don't really push it very hard, but wanted to take a look inside. There are two sets of drive gears to service. The one on the right side has two steel gears and needs to have the grease replaced before it migrates through the central seal and contaminates to grease in the left side. The plastic gear in the left side is more difficult to open and service, and the stock grease in the right side, can deteriorate that plastic gear. Eventually I will have to service the left side but will try to leave that until next year. (Early Bafang units often were shipped lacking grease) A new adventure.

The procedure was as follows:

Remove the right crank will crank puller and sit chain off the chain ring
Remove the chain guard from the chain ring- 5 screws from back side


Remove the Chain Ring- 5 studs

Remove Plastic cover- gently: many small philips screws
Clean old grease from teeth, repack with Mobil 28 Aircraft Grease
Reassemble
Chain Ring showing a bit of wear- Replace 2018?
I checked the rest of the drive line, cleaned the chain, rear cassette and rear derailleur. The wheel bearings are all tight, and the brakes fine from servicing in Sept. The chain is showing a bit of stretch, and the chainring and cassette are a bit worn. I have a replacement cassette with me and will change it, the chain,  and the chainring if things start slipping. I've put a lot of kilowatts through the BBSO2 so it is to be expected.

Now just sort out a box of tools, bits and pieces and I'm ready to throw it on the carrier and head south. Redneck Riviera here I come!

1 comment:

  1. I'm beginning to think your posts should be in some engineering journal. Would you agree? My new concrete pad is complete and next comes the hoist. DP really needs a bath and a chain clean. I want it done before El Tour de Tucson on November 18. Gotta look good for that one. I'm also ready to continue my blog (not as technical as yours!) Safe trip...

    ReplyDelete