Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Back in the Saddle

The new trike, Rover II arrived last Friday and I spent the afternoon getting it ready for it's first ride Saturday morning. After getting it out of the packing carton the first chore was getting it up to my condo. It wheeled into the elevator just fine but was a little tight going through the front door. I had measured it and with the handle bars in the shipping position... about 45 degrees... I only needed to move the brake levers in on the handle bars and we were in the door. I found the positioning of the swung back handle bars a little different, but not uncomfortable and I think I will leave them in that position. The kingpin cap screws were set a little tighter on this one and I think I will leave them as it makes 'towing' the unit into the elevator and down the hall easier as the steering doesn't move as easily. It can make operational steering a little 'jerkier' but after a ride or two I no longer find it problematic

Spent the rest of the evening putting on the lights, Bell Radian 850 LED flashing or solid USB chargeable Amazon $10 set of two 1 red-1 clear . Don't know about nightime suitability but don't figure on riding after dark. Just want the daytime vis and they appear fine. Wonder if they may not be an older model as the USB cord- supplied - is the larger mini type on my old camera, not the newer one you find on everything these days. But have run them for over 12 hours flashing without recharge.

 The Mirracycle mirror I had to install on the inside of the handle bar rather than the outside for door clearance... a little ugly but works just fine.  These Mirracycle Mirrors are a great product.

The bike computer I put on a accessory bar that mounts on the steering handle. It was an inexpensive Ranaico wireless unit $16 from Amazon. The installation and operation was straightforward and it took very little adjusting to get the pickup set correctly. It is supposed to be waterproof, but since Rover II will not be sleeping outdoors this should not be an issue.

Took some time to properly install the Retrospec Foot Retention Straps I had purchased but not used on Rover I -$13-. They work ok but I think I will eventually install Shimano SPDs when I decide on shoes.

My 48/38/28 Shimano M131 Crankset arrived Monday so I put it on plus a set of 21mm pedal extenders at the same time. Moving my big clodhopper feet- size 14s out is a little more comfortable.  I still don't think I'll bother with a front derailleur as simply reaching ahead and shifting it by gripping the chaintube is quick, simple and effective

Put on a little bell but they are pretty useless other than for entertaining small kids on the trail. "On your left" is pretty universal and more effective. Too many earb uds plugging up other cyclers and walkers.

Still need a cell phone holder and think I will get something similar to previously, but a little sturdier.

Lots of interested folks wondering, "What the heck is that thing? How much did it cost? $2-3000? Only $1000!"  The little promo contact cards Terra Trike sent with the Rover saves me a lot of  time and gets me back on my way. The parting question often is, "Do you work for TerraTrike?" The answer, "No, just a very happy customer."

On the trail Rover II has been a delight. After 5 days I have clocked 277km without a hitch. On the first two mornings Sat and Sun, flocks of robins were pouring out of the pine forest and vacuuming the roadside and lawns. not sure what they were finding... winged ants, termites or just some greens but they were certainly chowing down getting ready for spring migration. The erie thing was the silence. Robins are normally very noisy around their breeding territory, but here at this time hardly a peep. Today they were all gone. Did not see a one. Perhaps they are on their way north. Watch for them.

Other birds are busy making mating calls. The read breasted woodpeckers have a soft call that I am now hearing and the cardinals are whistling their threepeat call. It is fun teasing them. They will answer if you whistle back and will draw quite near if you are still. I have seen pictures of them attacking their own image in a rearview mirror. Think I will find an imitation male and mount it on my bike helmet. See if I can get buzzed.

Lots more cycles on the trails these days as the weather has been beautiful 60F wit brilliant sunshine. I am appreciating the trails in PCB more each day as one is away from traffic and the forest edges break the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment